Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Monday, December 03, 2007

Wrench, Heart, Wrench!

I wrote an environmental article linking the preciousness of breastmilk to the finite quality of water which comes from Hashem. It's not the kind of writing I usually do. I usually write heart-wrenching cancer stories.

I got the first rejection today and I'm trying to accept simple disappointment and not be annoyed. It could be because they only like heart-wrenching cancer stories, or that they're worried about formula-using readers who might be offended, or that the agenda is too bossy or the writing isn't good enough. Don't know.

I'll send it a few more places. I need to be realistic that my writing one article is not going to rescue the planet from imminent destruction. Therefore, this article not being published with this publication does not mean that I'm failing any worse in my mission to help make the world a cleaner place for ND and her peers.

But I also wonder about the future of my writing. Whenever will I publish an article that is not about cancer? I'm a good writer! I just am limited in the kinds of things I write well for the right audiences. I've been asked to do a piece to a certain publication about my shul's environmental efforts. Write a "reporting" piece? Me? I don't know if I can do something simple like that. When I'm supposed to write, "Congregation K_____ is taking a leadership position in promoting environmental awareness in the Orthodox community," I'm going to write, "Since no one else is doing it, we're tyring, but no one shows up and people think we're crazy."

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home