Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Saturday, January 05, 2008

No New Clothes Update: The Fish Oil Adventure

In No New Clothes I wrote about not buying any new clothes for the year. There have been interesting developments:

1. I lost my small gloves. I have big thick huge ones, but it's too hard to use my keys, get out the stroller etc. with those. So I caved and bought a double-pair for $1.49. I probably could have gotten some from Freecycle, but I was RIGHT THERE at Target.

2. And this one is embarrassing... Fish oil. I have discovered that Fish Oil is a wonderful thing. I take it medicinally to help with mood swings. About a week and a half ago, I bought a nice big jar of it. $50 worth, in fact. While getting it out of the car I dropped the jar and it burst on the street. Just like that. I was pretty upset about it, but I also realized there's no point in crying over spilled fish oil. So I was ready to let it go.

However, there was a shirt of Naomi's in the bag with the oil. And a really cute one too. It was green with a v-top and a little white undershirt sewn in. I realized that since it was soaked in fish oil I should probably throw it away, but it was a really cute shirt.

On top of that, my sense of smell has been shot for the past two weeks since I had this cold from which I have not completely recovered yet. So I didn't realize it reeked and tossed it into the wash... with everything else. Two loads worth.

We've washed it over half a dozen times, with soap, vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, Pine Sol etc. So far, not much improvement.

Last summer when we had some major water damage I was actually relieved to get rid of some stuff even though I was upset about some of the loss. Same thing applies here. We've thrown out a lot, including that cute green shirt.

But some of U's best shirts, and my favorite skirt, and a bunch of ND's gDiapers are in there too! I still can't smell a thing, but U' says they still stink and we're not ready to toss them. Think we'll take them to a cleaners next.

I'll let you know if I have to buy any new stuff as a result. So far I'm still resisting. Besides for my pledge, we both HATE shopping.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger AMJ said...

Oh I feel so bad for you! We lost 26 out of 30 eggs on Thurs. on the way home from shopping. It was so frustrating, we just needed a few more, but that is the cheapest way to buy them. We ended up having to half one recipe to make it work. But as usual there is always someone who has it worse than me. I am so sorry about your clothes. I hope everything comes clean. Good for you for not just running out and buying more. I admire your dedication.

amj

10:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fish heads
fish heads
funky stinky fish heads
fish heads
fish heads
wash them up, yum.

;) So sorry, a. I've had so many bad laundry experiences that I'm too paranoid to throw anything even the teeniest bit questionable in the wash with anything else.

Except this damn wool blanket we have. I keep forgetting, and wind up washing it with other items that don't react so well to white fuzzy woolly bits. Like black undies.

Hope you feel better!

(yes, I'm finally catching up on all my blog reading since last summer. Sad, I know.)

9:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home