Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Saturday, December 22, 2007

No New Clothes

It's been about three months since I've bought any new clothes. Ordinarily this would not be surprising as I hate shopping. But this has been a deliberate choice. Since around Rosh Hashanah I've decided to try and go a whole year with no new clothes.

Inspiration for this has included:

-Around September I spent more than I should have on a total splurge outfit that I didn't need from a breastfeeding clothes company.

-I had a conversation with a friend about Freeganism that intrigued me.

-I've been grateful to hardly have to buy a single scrap of clothing for ND ever thanks to the abundant gifts, loans and hand-me-downs of clothes that she outgrows so quickly anyway.

-I'm concerned about waste and consumerism in general.

-I'm tired of how cluttered our apartment feels.

-And most of all... I've read so many stories of people who simply weren't drowning in all the stuff they needed in the world. I know that shoes, for example, were a very precious resource for my grandmother growing up, and I know that in the past people actually valued their special clothes and were grateful to them. I don't get to experience that often because I can have anything I want any time, pretty much.
Maybe not designer quality, but I've never been desperate just to have a coat to stay warm, for example, the way a homeless person might.

My hope is that I would be able to prevent impulse-buying and learn to appreciate my belongings more.

It's starting to pay off. Now that the cold is here I'm discovering I really only have 2 sweaters and 2 warm vests that I can wear to work. Otherwise I have to layer.

Practically speaking, this is plenty. But fashion-wise, it would be nice to have some more. I'm quite enjoying the wanting right now at least as much as I'll enjoy buying something in a year or, better yet, stumbling onto something on Freecycle.

Also thinking about getting a new robe and maybe some tall boots.

In the meantime, as much as I keep wanting a new pair of slippers, I'm making better use than I have in ages of my thick wool socks. Appreciating them like I never did before.

P.S. Please don't take pity on me and send me stuff!

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger AMJ said...

I can totally relate to the cluttered apt. feeling! What a great idea, experiment? Although I too rarely buy new clothes,I don't know if I have ever gone a whole year without aquiring something new, be it a handme down or gift or new purchase. I hope you will do an update through out the year. I think you make an excellent point in your blog about how valued clothes used to be and now they have so little meaning. Thanks for a reminder of how our society tends to take the little things for granted yet again.

2:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home