Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

No New Clothes Update: Score!

I got an email yesterday from a friend in Portland asking me if I wanted her to find some clothes for me and mail them out here. I was very grateful for the offer. As it is, I'm considering visiting a Goodwill on the condition that I only buy what I set out to buy before I walk in. No easy task.

But as I explained to my friend, I'm still not convinced that I don't already have what I need buried in my closet.

A while back I bought a very very nice blue skirt that turned out to be too small. I was unable to return it because apparently it was part of a set which I hadn't realized and I didn't have the jacket to return too. (I suppose I paid too much for as it as a result, but it was so long ago, I'm not sure.) For whatever reasons, I've been feeling fairly fit recently and decided to give it a shot.

So this morning it fits! I know this won't always be the case. Probably can't wear it to fancy dinners where I plan to eat a lot, but I certainly can manage it sometimes. I think I'll start using it for things like Shabbat or parent-teacher conferences, and I can downgrade some of my other clothes for that purpose into everyday use.

I just don't want to have to downgrade things that need dry cleaning. I have a few really nice things I could wear to work more often, but they're going to get dirty, and I get to the cleaners about twice a year! Any advice on cleaning woolen skirts on your own?

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger AMJ said...

I would try some type of woolite and hand wash. I am going to attempt this on my wool blazwer as soon as I have time. I too am loathe to pay a dry cleaner these days. After all wool used to be a main source of material before there were dry cleaners! I hope it works. If I do mine first I will let you know how it goes. PS I know I owe a real e-mail. I will get there some day!

AMJ

2:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

spot wash the wool skirts with woolite or some other gentle cleaner, if they have stains, then throw it in a COOL dryer (no heat!) with a sachet. Used to be a dryer sheet until we discovered how bad they are for us ;)

I'm so respecting your commitment to this - and totally sympathizing with the fishy frocks...

12:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home