Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day: Poverty

There's a whole lot I want to write about Sukkot, but ND is not a happy camper right now and I'm trying to do this quickly.

Today is Blog Action Day and this year's topic is poverty.

Your job: Think for a moment about how much Jewish (or non-Jewish) holidays address issues of poverty or helping less fortunate.

Then consider what amount of your income or energy actually goes towards helping.

I think this is particularly challenging if you live in an area where it's just harder to see people in need. In Englewood most people look like they're fine, at least within my immediate community. But looks are deceiving and those w/ similar income level flock together. We have to remind ourselves that this IS our task and is NOT our money,

Right before Rosh Hashanah I found a full tzedakah box I wanted to empty into needy hands. I even called the rabbi to see if he wanted to pass it on to someone. It doesn't work that way, giving coins away.

I kept the cash and made an online donation. It felt distant and too little of an impact.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tzedakah coins??? my suggestion is go to your local bank with your kids (if you have!). use their coin counting machine, get bills and then make a contribution. online is fine. really. distant, but sometimes most direct (for example: www.mitzvahheroesfund.org )

you can't donate cash in hand to something in israel unless you are coming over...so, use mitzvah heroes fund and they will be sure it gets to where it is supposed to!

arnie draiman
www.draimanconsulting.com

8:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home