Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Burn That Chometz!

Well, I've got a potato kugel in the oven and the matzoh balls are almost done. I also have in the fridge a salmon, mushroom salad, zuchinni kugel and a whole mess of honey-gingered squash.

I think we're ready.

We're not even doing the seders this year! We've been invited out by just the family I was hoping to spend Pesach with and then we've got a community seder the second night

This morning it all started to feel real and less stressful when I took our chometz to be burned. Before that I kept thinking I'd forgotten to clean somewhere, but then we gathered up our last bits and pieces and it was done.

There was a big metal garbage can set up outside the shul and I could see plenty of charred bread in there already. I put my little paper bag of Kix cereal in there and set the thing on fire.

As I told U. later, I could never be a firefighter. I just would stand there mesmerized and watch the house burn down.

I had this great memory of when we lived in Portland and drove down one year to Corvallis for my parents' seder. On the way there we stopped in a rest stop to burn our chametz on a pile of rocks. Very scared we'd get "caught" and accused of doing something terrible. But we remembered to kick the stones over the charred remains and all was good.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home