Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Torah infertility

I have so many friends who have difficulties having children for whatever reasons and often they don't get the support they need from the Jewish community. We as a community are very family-based, and this can be difficult for someone who can't get it on it whether they are single, or have medical problems or whatever.

I belong to a local listserv that sends out announcements for local classes, furniture for sale etc. within the Jewish community. I was impressed to see a series of classes being given locally on this topic by some sensitive-sounding people. I wrote to them to thank them for their work and they responded by telling me about their organization A T.I.M.E. (Torah Infertility Medium of Exchange) I felt the best way for me to support them is by mentioning them on here.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ATIME is a wonderful organization.

There is also Bonei Olam (www.boneiolam.org/) for funding; here in Canada, it's Small Wonders (www.smallwonders.ca). ATIME also has a Toronto branch, atime.ca, but most links lead back to the main ATIME site, and there's nothing - absolutely nothing - for Canadian Jews west of Ontario. We're working on a day-long IF conference here; b"H it will happen soon.

Thank you for posting this (actually the best way to support them is by making a donation ;) but anything you do helps!). I'm sorry you have "so many" friends who are dealing with this; it means there are too many of us out there. But I always appreciate your thinking about us!

5:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home