Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Birth Story: Part I - Cast of Characters

I'm learning recently that the best way to complete things is to do them bit by bit. Ideally I would sit down right now and write out everything about my (or ND's) birth story, but I have some other more pressing things to do and just want to get a quick blog-fix before I do them. I'm taking a cue here also from Arwen/Elizabeth who has been telling her birth story one piece at a time.

So in this chapter let me just introduce you to the characters in the story:

Here I am, in my last photo of pregnancy. I was already in early labor when this was taken, although we weren't certain. I'm at the Childbirth Center to have an ultrasound and to check in with my midwife.



Speaking of my midwife, L., here she is with ND.



And here is J., my doula, who talked me through all of my contractions. This picture was taken the day after ND was born when J. came back to the hospital to help me with breastfeeding.



Of course, U. was there all along as well. No surprises there.



And extra special, Emarcy drove in from 3 hours away as soon as we asked her to come. She was an incredible addition to the team.




And finally, but surprising, was A. She has not been happy about the arrival of ND, but during my actual labor she came in to visit twice, despite my moans. Emarcy reports that A. was anxious most of the evening, but still, she actual let me pet her as though she knew that would calm me. I love this picture, taken weeks ago, that gives more validity than ever to the song "Cat in the Cradle."

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home