Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Simchat Bat Or Not

It was a lovely Shabbos today except that ND was very sad for a number of hours. We're not sure why yet... I have a couple of theories... but suffice it to say she screamed for quite some time and had to be nursed more often than not throughout the day.

Now, I was hoping that next Saturday night we could have a Simchat Bat, or a celebration for a daughter. Since boys have a bris or circumcision ceremony, it seemed right. I was going to have over women only to introduce to my little girl. That would keep it smaller, more intimate etc., but I still had 25 names on my guest list.

However, after all those tears, it no longer seems like such a good idea. I've been procrastinating on actually inviting my guests, and I think I see why now. Truth be told, we've been relieved to have no obligation for doing a shindig since we didn't have a boy, so I think we should appreciate the flexibility our situation provides.

Maybe when she's a month old we can try again.

I'm not sure yet if I'm disappointed or relieved. I think mostly I'm just sort of worn out by the difficult afternoon we had.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was this your first real difficult day with ND? Poor little thing. I totally support your holding off on a Simchat Bat. It's really for the parents, anyway, and if the parents aren't up for it, then the rest of the world can wait a little while to meet the beautiful ND!

Hope you're doing well!

4:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home