Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Horizons

It's here! My copy of Horizons just arrived with my first-ever article in print, a reprint of It's Shabbat as they chose to title it in their issue. Kind of cool to stroke the ego a little.

Speaking of the ego, I have to protect it a little too sometimes. One of the things that came to me on the camping trip was a new tool I want to try using to help me this year. I have two envelopes taped to my desk. The one on the left says "Useful - even if difficult - criticism to help me grow." Below it I drew a flower. On the right is an envelope that says "Other people's baggage - nothing to do with me." There I drew a lion in a cage. I'm not sure why I chose that. I think it represents the way the words people say sometimes coop themselves up inside me and go around and around and around. Already someone said something obnoxious today. I've decided it can go in the envelope in the right. Hopefully that will help me forget about it.



I have a completely different energy now with the school year really getting going. I feel like I don't want to stop working until I pass out. I know that I need to take some deep breaths and come back to myself - also eat dinner, take a short walk - or I'll start burning out in the first few weeks!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home