Many thoughts about identity, Judaism, teaching, meditation, travel, parenting and more

Thursday, November 23, 2006

A New Jersey Thanksgiving

Just got home from our Thanksgiving dinner. Last year we went into the city to celebrate. This year we went out with the same friend, but with just 5 days until my due date, there was no way I was going to cross the George Washington Bridge for any length of time. So we ate at Noah's Ark in Teaneck instead. (Don't be startled by the plane if you click on that link.)

It was a good dinner. U. and I are feeling stuffed now, but happy for it. I was amazed I was able to eat so much. I've been hungry often lately, but usually can't fit that much food around the baby's space. But it wasn't bad and I had an excellent chocolate cream pie for dessert.

So now I'm passed every special date that I'd hoped to, even though I was prepared to welcome a baby even before then. I got through conferences, my last day of work (which was yesterday), and now Thanksgiving dinner. All along I've been thinking it could happen at any minute. Now I'm starting to realize that I could be waiting for the next 2 1/2 weeks. I think I'm okay with that although a little nervous about getting bored.

Who am I fooling... if I do get bored, great! When's the next time I'll be able to be bored? And now that I feel like I have a lot of time, it might turn out that I really don't.

Oh yeah. We got to a movie. We saw Borat. I could say quite a bit, but don't really want to because I'm tired, and I guess it didn't mean enough to me to want to say very much. In short, we laughed a lot, but that doesn't mean we enjoyed it. It certainly was uncomfortable. I'm not very interested in the question of how the movie deals with (or could provoke) anti-Semitism. I feel like there were many more issues in the movie. At times I wondered who the audience was really meant to be. Other times I didn't know if I was laughing at Borat or at his straight men, the "average Americans" he targeted. I really don't recommend the movie unless you're willing and ready to explore those issues reasonably.

In any case, I got to sit in a movie theater. That's cool. Might not be able to again for awhile. (Or maybe I will.)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home